The Costs of Clutter
Whether at work or home, I’m sure each of us has experienced difficult concentration in a cluttered space. Doesn’t all that mess practically demand attention? With its constant “call”, accumulated (negative) energy places you at great risk of failing to get any productive work done. But that’s not the end of the story.
Yes, your clutter affects you big-time. Do you realize it can keep you stuck in the past? It’s a big contributor to feeling lethargic, confused – and just plain dulled in your senses. At its worst, overwhelming mass mounts up to such a degree that the weight ultimately crushes you and leads to physical illness.
A very steep price to pay, isn’t it?
So, What’s It About?
In the past – distant or otherwise – you may have purchased those now-weary items to help you feel better in some way. They hopefully enhanced your joy at least for a while. No psychologist or Feng Shui expert, what I can say today is their usefulness and positivity long ago wore out their welcome. Didn’t they?
What happened, to turn the tables? How does clutter now “kill” your body, mind and spirit? The thing is, many become so consumed dealing with their “toys” and objects that the obsession robs precious time from self-care. Our unavailability to self-nurturing leads to slow and then escalating compromise of physical and emotional health.
What a sure-fire recipe for putting your life on hold. Oh my!
Consider this: If your unconscious can maneuver your light-filled Real Self into running around totally scatter-brained, you’ll never move forward with cherished hopes and dreams. That’s what makes clutter such a dark and insidious way of keeping you stuck.
At its worst, clutter causes you to self-sabotage in the extreme so you actually prevent the arrival of all those good things you say you yearn for. In effect, you block your own “flow” of health, wealth and happiness. Wow.
The Top Ten List
Naturally, this destructive process is largely sub-conscious. The shadowy under-currents lurking beneath disorganization don’t want you to have this information. I do!
To shed light on “what’s in it for you” to lastingly purge your every bit of clutter please allow your inner core to receive these “benefit statements”:
- Obtain clarity to decide what you want in all arenas – work, home, health, finances, relationships, fun and recreation, growth and development.
- Get mobilized to become unstuck.
- Boost your concentration power.
- Accomplish more because you’re focused on goals and priorities.
- Eliminate all distracting factors to going after your dreams.
- Remove barriers that block what you truly desire.
- Release new vitality by freeing up stale energy.
- Reignite your inner “fire” and commitment to your best life.
- Create space for the arrival of new people, experiences and opportunities by removing reminders of negative past memories embedded within the objects themselves (every single thing surrounding us is “energy” – good or bad).
- Reclaim your confidence and self-esteem (as you get back on top of every part of your life).
On a more humorous note, sadly-departed George Carlin had it so right in his famous comedy sketch. Its essence was that we need to get ever-larger homes and storage facilities for the sole reason to house all our “stuff” (not to give us more space in which to live). While in jest, Carlin got at the heart of what we’ve been talking about.
On a reflective note, you’ll never guess who said these words: “It is an act of courage to throw away clothes we no longer need.” Believe it or not, that was Fritjof Nansen, Norwegian explorer and statesman. I agree with Mr. Nansen. It does take a leap of faith to let go of all those “things” that no longer serve and merely inundate us.
So, if I were a fly on the wall in your workspace and home after you put down this article, how soon will I see evidence of your clearing efforts?
I think I feel it now…the cleansing breath of fresh air you allowed to bring all that new energy your way!