Make the Time
You know my philosophy about Intentions versus Resolutions. I see the first as so much more powerful because they’re based in what we want (our most cherished hopes) rather than “should’s” (e.g., exercise unrealistically hard, eat dangerously little, never buy yourself even a small treat and other scarcity-oriented demands we confine ourselves into).
How about we now step it up a notch? Rather than “limit” yourself to intentions covering only one year, what if you were to devote some significant concentration defining how to make your perfect day a reality?
To do this, you’ll need some soul-searching alone time. This means, a quiet period(s) when you shut off the phone and turn away from all those competing priorities – even if it’s only for an hour at a stretch. This is where your new life begins to be heard, and you must be open to listen.
The Top Ten List
As you get underway, bear in mind this exercise assumes no fears or obstacles or restrictions. Do not short-change or under-estimate your power of possibilities. To support you, your Top Ten list will combine suggestions to facilitate your imagination and best-practices to derive the most from your efforts:
- Begin at the first moment you open your eyes on your Ideal Day. Where are you? Who is around you?
- Describe every little detail – what you’re wearing, eating, doing, etc. Even include the perfect weather!
- As your perfect day progresses, describe the fun activities laced throughout.
- Describe what you’re doing as the sun sets. Write everything about the evening – your meal, your companions, your attire, where you’ll spend the night.
- Now, read over your Ideal Day. What does this tell you about yourself?
- If this had been written by someone you didn’t know, what would it reveal about that person?
- Now, compare all this to the way you view your life today. If there are differences, why? What factors are presently blocking your perfect day?
- Reflect upon and record what you have discovered through this process.
- Place your writing somewhere safe. Occasionally, take it out and re-read it.
- If your desires continue to ring true, you’re on the right track. If something you’ve written doesn’t fit you anymore, change it.
Remember: This is all about you – in the best sense! You’re the star in your own performance. Your Ideal Day belongs to you and no one else. You need to be sure it’s something you can put your energy and enthusiasm behind.
Have you ever come across the notion, most people spend more time planning their vacations than their lives? Sad but true. Please don’t let yourself be one of them. If you’re wondering how you’ll find the time to do this work by February, I retort: “You can’t afford not to dedicate some attention to this most important task called “your life”!
As I like to do, let me leave you on an introspective note. I hope you enjoy this affirmation for the rest of your life. To me, it aptly expresses the sentiments underlying everything I’ve wanted to unleash in you as it regards your Ideal Day.
“In the new picture of the coming years, I see my life growing and expanding in everything: in health, youth, and unlimited energy at all times and in all circumstances. I see myself in complete freedom. I see unlimited growth in my personal capacity, mental power, and intellectual brilliancy. I see constant improvement in all the elements of my personality and my body. I see daily growth in my wisdom, understanding, insight, and realization. I see myself in peace, harmony, love, and joy. I see my character expanding to be stronger and more beautiful. I see the never-ending betterment of friends, associations, and environments. I see myself in everlasting joy and infinite bliss.”(The Secret calendar: December 31, 2008)